My husband eats horseradish with almost EVERYTHING. And one of his favorite appetizers or side dishes is deviled eggs. I wondered how these deviled eggs would taste, as I’m not so crazy about horseradish as he is. But I REALLY like them. These deviled eggs have a tangy flavor, but they’re not really crazy hot or spicy. Just enough to give it a “kick”. It makes me feel so good when I make them for him; he keeps going back for more until they’re all gone.
There’s a little trick to boiling eggs. And it’s really not a “trick” because it’s so darn easy to get them right (I found this out after I mutilated dozens of them!). You’re supposed to put them in a big pot (one layer of eggs), cover them with cool water just over the top of the eggs, and bring them to a boil over medium high heat. Once they START to boil, you immediately remove them from the heat, COVER the pot, and let them sit for 15-20 minutes. Simple enough, huh?
Okay, so to make these deviled eggs, you’ll need to hard-boil one dozen eggs. Once they’ve sat for the 15-20 minutes, place them in a colander and run cool water over them. Then carefully peel the eggs.
Using a sharp knife, you’ll slice the eggs length-wise:
Then you’ll place the mixture in a piping bag or a plastic storage bag. I don’t have a piping bag yet (it’s on my “wish list”!) so I just use a gallon-sized plastic storage bag to place my egg mixture in. Just spoon it into a corner of the bag, cut the tip off and squeeze it into the sliced egg whites.
Sprinkle the deviled eggs with paprika, and garnish with parsley. Sometimes I like to place sliced stuffed green olives on top of them. That’s it! Perfect little deviled eggs. Following is the printable version of this tangy deviled egg recipe:
- 12 hard boiled eggs; peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup sweet relish
- 2 tsp spicy mustard
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper (or more, to taste)
- 1/3 cup recipe bacon pieces OR 4-6 slices of crispy fried bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- Parsley (optional)
- Remove yolk from hard boiled eggs and place in medium bowl.
- Mash yolk with fork until crumbly.
- Add bacon, mayonnaise, bacon pieces, prepared horseradish, sweet relish, spicy mustard and pepper; mix well.
- Place in piping bag or 1 gallon plastic storage bag (if placing in plastic storage bag, place in a corner of the bag and cut the corner tip off of the bag).
- Squeeze egg yolk mixture into egg whites.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Garnish with parsley (optional).