It’s a new year & I’ve been trying to cook & eat healthy. I normally don’t get on the scales; I measure my size and progress by how my clothes fit. Well, I got on the scales yesterday and it wasn’t funny. With the cold weather & holidays I haven’t been running as much and it has caught up with me.
I love carbs & am used to being able to eat them as I please (when I’m running regularly). Giving up my carbs is NOT an option so I made a vow to myself to get back into action. I have another (only 2nd) half-marathon to run with my friend in a few months & I have to keep my promise.
So coming up with this recipe was a healthy compromise to my love for carbs; all-the-while keeping my husband’s tummy happy & healthy. I was shocked at the outcome, as I was skeptical about the combination—it was truly delish.
- 1 lb Italian style turkey sausage links
- 1 thinly sliced leek, sliced just a little over where it starts to turn green
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- (1) 7 oz can pieces & stems mushrooms, drained
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup "quartered & marinated" artichoke hearts, drained (in a jar found on the canned veggie isle)
- 6 oz bag fresh spinach
- (1) 24 oz jar of your favorite vegetable spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 box (13.25 oz) whole grain spaghetti noodles
- Remove turkey sausage from casings & discard casings
- Pour olive oil in sauce pan over medium to medium-high heat
- Add chopped garlic & turkey sausage
- With a wooden spoon crumble turkey sausage as you're stirring & cooking
- Cook until turkey sausage is no longer pink
- Now would be a good time to start heating up your water for your spaghetti noodles!
- Add jar of spaghetti sauce, sliced leeks, mushrooms, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, & artichoke hearts (everything else but spinach!) to sausage
- Cover & simmer while you're waiting for your spaghetti noodle water to boil
- Cook spaghetti noodles according to package directions
- Add spinach to sausage mixture LAST.
- It will look like a lot of spinach but it will cook down quickly
- Hopefully by now your spaghetti noodles will be finished cooking; drain noodles & serve sauce over noodles!