I LOVE meatballs! I can eat them any time, any way. For breakfast, on a sub with mozzarella cheese, you name it. And I love molasses too. So I make my meatballs with a sauce that has ketchup, molasses and other good stuff in it. They’re actually very simple to make–nothing complicated at all. I can’t wait to make these for “the big game” next Sunday. Right now they’re still simmering in my Crock-Pot and we’re eating them on sub rolls tonight with homemade sweet potato fries
To make ‘em, you just mix lean ground beef with some fresh minced onion, egg, garlic powder, mustard powder, pepper, soy sauce & bread crumbs. Mix it all together (I use disposable vinyl gloves and use my hands) and form into little balls.
You’ll probably need to wet your hands with lukewarm water in-between forming balls, it keeps the ground beef from getting that “sticky” feeling and helps to form the balls better. Then you’ll place on a baking sheet & bake 15-20 minutes or until nice and browned.
Meanwhile, you’ll mix everything together for your sauce in a medium bowl: ketchup, molasses, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar and hot sauce. I like this sauce because it’s not to sweet and not too hot or spicy, it’s right “in-between”.
Place the meatballs in your slow cooker and cover with the sauce. Stir to get the sauce over all the meatballs. Cook on low for 1 hour. You’ll get homemade, perfect little meatballs. Here’s the printable version of the recipe:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup fresh minced onion
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp red hot sauce (I used Texas Pete)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients together for the meatballs and form approximately 1" balls.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until browned.
- While meatballs are baking, in a medium bowl, mix sauce ingredients together.
- Once meatballs have finished baking, remove from baking sheet and place in slow cooker.
- Cover with sauce and stir well to coat meatballs.
- Cook on low setting for 1 hour.