Old fashioned cornbread baked in a cast iron skillet.
- 2 cups medium sift yellow corn meal
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- Melt bacon grease in a cast iron skillet in oven while preheating oven to 350 degrees F, OR fry 2 slices of bacon over moderately high heat to yield 1 tablespoon of bacon grease.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk cornmeal, baking soda, salt & baking powder.
- Add eggs & buttermilk. Stir with a large spoon to combine.
- Pour melted hot bacon grease into mixture & stir well to combine.
- Pour batter into hot cast iron skillet & bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.